Connect with us

TechNews

Breaking FG suspends Twitter’s operation in Nigeria

Published

on

Twitter

Barely 24 hours after microblogging and social networking service, Twitter, in Nigeria deleted President Muhammadu Buhari’s tweet that the federal government suspended, indefinitely, the operations of the social media giant in the country.

Techeconomy.ng had previously reported that President Buhari’s tweet was said to have been a threat against some people that were allegedly disturbing the peace of the nation.

President Buhari’s tweet read:  “Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives that occurred during the Nigerian Civil War.

“Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand.”

Commenting on the development, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, said: “Twitter had not been fair to Nigeria.”

Mohammed said while the social media giant had conveniently ignored inciting tweets by the leader of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, and his cohorts, displaying the same biases it did during the #ENDSARS protest, where government and private properties were looted and set on fire, all in the name of right to protest, it found the President’s tweets offensive.

According to him, “Twitter may have its own rules; it’s not the universal rule. If Mr. President, anywhere in the world feels very bad and concern about a situation, he is free to express such views.

“Now, we should stop comparing apples with oranges. If an organization is proscribed, it is different from any other which is not proscribed.”

Recently, there had been pandemonium and uproars in some parts of the country due to inexplicable reasons. These occurrences seemed to have given some political leaders a serious concern.

ALSO READ  FG declares total shutdown of Third Mainland bridge for 3 days, close Lagos-Ibadan expressway for 2 days

Meanwhile, the government’s decision on Twitter bringing down the tweet of the number citizen of Nigeria was disclosed by the minister on Friday, June 4, through Segun Adeyemi, special assistant to the president on media.

Advertisement
Advertisement
1 Comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Facebook