Enextgen Wireless, in its recent report published by TechEconomy.ng titled ‘LTE: Comparing MTN, Glo networks in Ibadan through NIWBQR lens’, revealed the quality of LTE networks as deployed by Mobile Network Operators, namely; MTN. Airtel, Glo and 9Mobile.
In the latest report, the company which has providing consumer experience on mobile networks through its flagship National Independent Wireless Broadband Quality Reporting (NIWBQR) which measures the quality of effort in Radio Frequency engineering invested in commercial LTE network, focuses on the quality of 4G LTE in University of Ibadan.
Facts about University of Ibadan (UI)
- University of Ibadan (UI) was the most prestigious university in Nigeria.
- Students used to have meal plans and be able to buy meal tickets for their guests
- Now they cook their own meals and live almost on top of each other in cluttered rooms
According to Engineer Aderemi Adeyeye, president/CEO, Enextgen Wireless, they “decided to survey the quality of 4G LTE service within the campus. How different is it from student living conditions?
“We understand the complaints about theft of telecom assets and inadequacies of public infrastructure.
“However, we think as much as possible should be done to provide high quality of 4G LTE service with the assets deployed that are operational.
“All of the data we collect is available to interested network operators or their vendors for performance analysis and quality improvement.
More about NIWBQR
- National Independent Wireless Broadband Quality Reporting (NIWBQR) is being offered by Enextgen Wireless, Ltd since 2016
- Designed to encourage Mobile Network Operators to provide high quality of Radio Frequency coverage for optimum utilization of available spectrum and excellent customer experience.
- Previously based on commercial UE logging and post-processing tools.
- Now using Enextlog for input data and Emetrics for processing and visualization
- Now focuses on a combination of our proprietary RF quality ranking (Emetrics) and measurements of results from key applications such as ping and FTP transfers.
In this report focusing on University of Ibadan, 50% of the weight for overall ranking is assigned to Emetrics, 20% each is assigned to downlink throughput and packet latency, while 10% is assigned to uplink throughput
Emetrics from UI data:
Emetrics is Enextgen Wireless’ quality reporting platform for LTE. It is also the term the researchers use to rank LTE RF coverage quality.
It is based on experience in LTE testing and deployment from trial network deployment using prototype User Equipment the size of a large suitcase in 2008 to optimizing the quality of some of the largest LTE networks thereafter.
Emetrics has two platform versions – public and proprietary.
UI Emetrics Ranking
Enextlog Measured Values (University of Ibadan Drive):
56-byte Packet Latency Ranking
Packet Latency Distribution (ms):
Downlink Throughput Ranking:
Downlink Throughput Distribution(Kbps):
Uplink Throughput Ranking:
Uplink Throughput Distribution(Kbps):
Need more information?
- Visit the website here
- Click the above URL for the RF quality of the LTE service provided by the four major network operators.
- By subscribing to the public Emetrics service, mobile network operators in Nigeria can make the quality of their LTE networks visible to the public in all covered areas.
Engr. Adeyeye assured that the data generated by the public will also be available to the MNOs for desired quality improvement or ongoing customer experience monitoring.