Uber has announced the launch of Uber Connect in Lagos, which leverages the agility of Uber’s platform to efficiently send parcels and goods from one consumer or small business to another.
“The benefits of Uber’s technology platform extend beyond the actual ride-sharing abilities of Uber. With the growth of on-demand deliveries rising due to the integration of digital technology, we have adapted our platform to meet the evolving needs of the communities we serve, while providing new revenue streams and earning opportunities for drivers,” explains Tope Akinwumi, country manager for Uber Nigeria.
The e-commerce and last mile delivery sector in Nigeria is expected to grow by about 11 per cent by 2025 as it continues to attract strong investments according to business data platform Statista.
Leveraging its technology, Uber is providing an affordable same-day delivery service that provides a cost-effective, on-demand, no-contact delivery solution for family and friends, as well as small businesses.
UberConnect deliveries will be made by bike, which means that they will get from one user to another quicker, avoiding the traffic challenges often experienced in Lagos.
Uber has successfully rolled out UberConnect in other markets in Sub-Saharan Africa including Ghana, Kenya, Uganda and South Africa, demonstrating our ability to constantly reinvent our app as the needs of our communities change and evolve.
Safety remains a top priority and Uber Connect follows all relevant hygiene and safety protocols.
These include the requirement of masks for all drivers, as well as the completion of a safety checklist which reminds drivers to wash their hands and sanitise their relevant delivery bags.
Senders and recipients will also need to follow a checklist to ensure social distancing measures are followed.
How it works:
Uber Connect is currently available in Lagos
- Package the items in a sealed box or bag, wiping down surfaces with disinfectant.
- Tell your driver-partner ‘Where to?’ in your Uber app.
- Choose Uber Connect as the ride (you may have to swipe up for the option).
- Follow the notifications: You’ll get notifications providing instructions on how to help ensure a smooth pickup and when your driver-partner is arriving, just as you would with an UberX trip. As you see the motorbike approach in the app, you should head outside and load your item into the motorbike’s topbox.
- Share the trip status with up to 5 people in your contact list. One of these should be the recipient so they can easily monitor the delivery’s progress.