Last week, Techeconomy.ng reported Google’s announcement to support early-stage Black-founded startups in Africa, through the Google for Startups Black Founders Fund.
Google has disclosed the 50 innovative startups selected for the non-dilutive $3,000,000 fund. While 25 startups were chosen from Nigeria, nine were from Kenya, six from South Africa, two from Rwanda, four Ghanaian-based, and one from Cameroon, Zambia, Senegal and Ethiopia.
The goal is to bridge the existing fundraising gap for Black startup founders in Africa’s fast-growing technology landscape.
Added to the funds, the startups will receive Google Ad Grants and Google Cloud credits, as well as support from experienced experts at Google.
Meet the startups selected by Google
1. Babymigo founded by Adeloye Olanrewaju:
Babymigo is a health tech platform that provides quality health information to pregnant mothers and nursing mothers with babies up to six years old.
2. Bumpa founded by Kelvin Umechukwu
Bumpa helps small business owners sell, manage, and track everything in their business from their mobile devices.
3. Chekkit founded by Dare Odumade
Chekkit is a health tech startup providing product intelligence and battling medication counterfeiting for businesses in Africa.
4. CredPal founded by Fehintolu Olaogun
CredPal is a Fintech that provides consumer credit infrastructure to ease consumer credit purchases.
5. Crop2Cash founded by Michael Ogundare
Crop2Cash is an AgTech that makes access to credit easy for smallholder farmers.
6. Curacel founded by Henry Mascot
Curacel is an AI-driven SaaS product that offers digital infrastructure to insurance providers to grow on the African continent.
7. Emergency Response Africa founded by Folake Owodunni
Emergency Response Africa is building the largest network of First Responders and verified Emergency-Ready hospitals across Africa.
8. Formplus founded by Longe Olubusayo
Formplus helps businesses to collect and analyze data from their customers who are online and offline.
9. Gerocare founded by Ebi Ofrey
Gerocare is a health tech startup that provides structure to underserved markets to enable medical care for the elderly.
10. Gradely founded by Boye Oshinaga
Gradely is an edTech that supports schools and students in personalizing learning resources to help students improve academically.
11. Gricd founded by Oghenetega Iortim
Gricd provides solar-powered refrigeration technology with real-time data loggers that track real-time location and storage conditions of perishable products.
12. Hitch founded by Chukwuemeka Uche Onuora
Hitch enhances learning resources on-demand with relevant educational videos and AR/VR content.
13. Lifestores Healthcare founded by Bryan Mezue
Lifestores is building an integrated digital pharmacy platform to democratize access to primary healthcare in emerging markets.
14. mDoc Healthcare founded by Nneka Mobisson
mDoc Healthcare is a digital health social enterprise that optimizes the end-to-end self-care experience for people living with regular and chronic health needs.
15. Medsaf founded by Vivian Nwakah
Medsaf leverages various touch-points to ensure seamless and affordable access to quality medication.
16. My-Medicine founded by Abimbola Adebakin
My-Medicine provides clients with quick and reliable access to genuine and affordable medicines irrespective of their location.
17. Reach founded by JR Kanu
Reach uses transaction informatics to create personal finance and market research tools for people in Africa.
18. SEND founded by Kingsley Oti
SEND is a digital freight forwarder and customs broker for Africa.
19. Shecluded founded by Ifeoma Uddoh
Shecluded is a digital financial growth resource and service startup for women.
20. Pick Me Up Michael Okaredje
Pick Me Up provides a mobility platform that allows you to book a safe and affordable ride in minutes using your smartphone.
21. Tix Africa founded by Folayemi Agusto
Tix Africa provides event organizers, creators, and small business owners with a self-service ticketing platform to create events and sell tickets.
22. Touch and Pay founded by Oluwole Michael
Touch and Pay is a smart cities startup driving automated transportation fare collection.
23. TradeBuza founded by Nonso Eze
TradeBuza is building a data and API infrastructure for agriculture finance and last-mile operations.
24. Treepz founded by Onyeka Akumah
Treepz is a bus ride-hailing platform that connects its users with predictable travel times, bus traveling options, and safer travel across cities in Africa.
25. Whispa Health founded by Morenike Fajemisin
Whispa Health provides private, shame-free access to sexual and reproductive health information, products, and services.
26. Amitruck founded by Mark Mwangi
Amitruck is a digital marketplace for affordable deliveries in Kenya.
27. Angaza Elimu founded by Kiko Muuo
Angaza Elimu is an EdTech focused on delivering quality and relevant education on-demand using AI.
28. AquaRech founded by Dave Okech
AquaRech is an AgTech leveraging mobile technology to improve fish farmers’ productivity, enable market access, and create an inclusive aquaculture value chain.
29. Finplus founded by Kageni Wilson
Finplus helps SME retailers with access to instant working capital by providing transaction transparency.
30. Imali Pay Tatenda Furusa
Imali Pay is a one-stop-shop for financial services for the gig economy.
31. MarketForce Tesh Mbaabu
MarketForce enables informal merchants to source, order, and pay for inventory digitally and conveniently in Africa.
32. Pezesha founded Hilda Moraa
Pezesha provides affordable working capital to underserved and excluded MSMEs across Africa.
33. Raise founded Marvin H. Coleby
Raise helps companies, investors, and employees track equity and distribute digital securities in their portfolios.
34. WorkPay founded by Paul Kimani
WorkPay provides businesses with tools to enable them better and more efficiently manage their employees.
35. Akiba Digital founded by Tebogo Mokwena
Akiba Digital is a Fintech that provides alternative credit scoring to lenders and also enables small businesses to access better financing from lenders.
36. Khula! founded Karidas Tshintsholo
Khula! connects farmers with access to agricultural inputs, technical services, markets, and funding opportunities.
37. Kudoti founded by Gift Lubele
Kudoti empowers a network of recycling stakeholders to buy and sell recovered waste resources and create opportunities in the informal waste sector.
38. Oyi founded Tamsanqa Tami Ngalo
Oyi provides prepaid medical savings cards to help people budget and save for their medical and healthcare needs.
39. Pineapple founded by Ndabenhle Junior Ngulube
Pineapple provides insurance cover for all-risk items (electronics, clothing, musical instruments, among others.) and vehicles at the snap of a picture, using artificial intelligence.
40. Whoosh founded by Lebeko Mphelo
Whoosh provides various payment solutions to merchants and corporates looking to go online.
41. AC Group founded by Patrick Nsenga
AC Group is a logistics company that digitises the informal public sector in Africa.
42. Bongalo Nghombombong Minuifuong
Bongalo is a digital marketplace for African travel accommodation.
43. Grow For Me founded by Nana Opoku Agyeman-Prempeh
Grow For Me provides financing and market access to small-holder farmers.
44. Shopa founded by Frank Nana Addae
Shopa helps informal African retailers restock in a convenient manner.
45. Tendo founded by Felix Manford
Tendo leverages technology to connect independent resellers to suppliers.
46. WayaMoney founded by Del Adiamah
WayaMoney provides cross-border and cross-network payment and money transfer solutions.
47. Infiuss Health founded by Melissa Jane Bime
Infiuss Health is a health tech platform that helps connect researchers to participants for clinical trials and research across Africa.
48. Lupiya founded by Evelyn Chilomo Kaingu
Lupiya offers online personal and business loans to marginalised communities in Zambia with a focus on enabling access for women.
49. Paps founded by Bamba Lô
Paps helps companies and traders with scheduling and tracking deliveries in real-time.
50. Taskmoby founded by Ezana Raswork
Taskmoby connects users with service providers like cleaners, plumbers, and electricians while ensuring high-quality service in the fastest time.